This week I tackled what I thought would be a small project. Though I've been putting it off, and it turned into a 2 day ordeal. I've been wanting to paint the roof support beams the same gray as my siding. Originally they were painted with a clear urethane coating, but while I liked seeing the wood grain on the glulam beam, I didn't care for it on the posts. The last couple of winters have seriously abused these wooden posts. Snow builds up and water has leached up from the bottoms, so the urethane turned white and was peeling off in long strips. That was easy enough to peel off for a foot or so, but the rest had to be sanded. And my hand sander died, so I spent a good 4 hours yesterday, sanding both of these beams. And the ends of the glulam beam have really weathered, so I sanded both ends too.
So here is the glulam beam freshly coated with a exterior urethane coating. The whole beam got a fresh coat, and both sanded ends got 3 coats over the course of the day.
|Posts painted with primer|
|Posts with 2 coats of paint|
So the next project is interior painting. I finally admitted to myself I was never going to do that, and hired a painter. She's doing a great job. I'm hoping she gets to all my exterior doors soon. The front door pictured above will be a bright fuchsia. But that will be the subject of another post.