Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Summer Projects 2016

I got a lot more work done on my green roof project this summer.  The modules I planted this spring did quite well, and they are finally up on the roof (thanks Greg!).  This is the last set of modules, so next summer I'll work on replanting the ones that didn't make it through the winter.  I think I'm pretty much done trying sedums, and am going to start trying different types of grasses.  Also the Aleutian Speedwell is not growing well enough to save, so all of those modules from last year need to be replanted.

Anyway, I also got the rest to the rubber tiles up on the roof and my walkways between the different modules laid out.

Rubber Walkways In Place

Looking West
Looking East
The second project underway is the backyard.   I haven't done much with it and the alders were starting to grow too tall.  The lower end was very rough and rutted, running the brush hog over it didn't work, so in June I had Danny with Dutchboy Landscaping come out and tear up the weeds, then smooth out the dirt.  Then he hydroseeded it.  In July I wasn't sure the new grass was going to grow, but by the end of Aug it was 2+ feet tall and coming in pretty thickly.  We'll keep it mowed the next couple of summers so it chokes out the alders.

Clearing 1
Clearing 2

Hydroseeded and starting to grow

In addition I removed the crushed rock from the fire pit area (which I never bothered to use) and covered that area with some typar road fabric.  This week I added some galvanized steel raised beds with typar liners and today we got a pickup load of soil and filled them up.  Next spring I'll plant strawberries in the 3 smaller beds, then potatoes and beets, and maybe carrots in the bigger bed.
'Lawn' mowed

Raised beds

Liners and Dirt added

Monday, July 11, 2016

Summer Update

Wow, it's already July.  This summer is flying by and I have a lot to get done.

Last week Danny from Dutchboy Landscaping came out and re-contoured my back yard.  He smoothed out all the big lumps and ridges left from installing the drain field and then hydro seeded it.  Now the grass is just starting to come up.  I'm still going to have to deal with some of the weeds, but should be able to shape this up into a nice yard over the next couple of summer.

And the new modules I planted for my roof this summer are doing really well.  I wish the ones from last summer were, but most of them were winter killed.  So I have a lot of re-planting to do.

Then today after running some errands in town I decided I really needed to get a step built for my front porch.  It's only been 7 years....lol.   It took me a couple of hours but should work just fine once the paint dries.  The guys at the SBS yard where I purchased the lumber were very good about cutting the 2x6 an 2x4 exactly as I asked, so it all went together quite well.

2x6 pieces

Getting started
Mostly done
Waiting for the paint to dry

And the flowers I've been planting out front are starting to look pretty good.  It's a constant battle with the weeds.  And moose stomping through them or the cranes digging them up.  But progress is being made.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Floor Mosaic Beginning

Back in 2009 when I was building my house, I had the concrete guys put a plywood spacer in the floor, just in front of the french doors that open on to my deck.  The plan is to have Shari create and install a tile mosaic.  Shari has finally decided on a plan and has started the mosaic.  So I needed to remove the spacer and get her some exact measurements.

So today Robert was kind enough to stop by with a saw and an old blade and remove the space for me.  It only took a couple of minutes, once he could get a small hole and a crowbar under the plywood, it just popped right out.

So now I have a 2 ft by 3 ft hole in my hallway floor, and I'm very excited and happy to have it, and I'll be even more excited to get it filled in, hopefully this fall.

Plywood Spacer



Open Space for Mosaic