Thursday, November 02, 2006

Updates: Milan and Florence

Hi all,

We'll I'm finally back home and getting my pictures all downloaded and organized. We really had a great trip. Good weather, good food and good company. What a combo :-). As I was downloading my pictures, I decided I needed to post a few more here on the blog, just to whet your appetite. Then I'll post links to the photo albums, they're on my yahoo site.

You should be able to click the link and right to yahoo to see the rest of the pictures. You should also be able to download copies of the ones you want. If you have trouble downloading, let me know and I'll just e-mail you copies of the ones you want. I've been using a bit more resolution lately, so each picture file will run 600+ KB.

Here we are in Milan, standing in front of their Natural History Museum.

Kristen, Virgina, Penny & Linda


Pictures take in Milan (9) http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorijmurray/sets/72157600718376783/
It is titled 0061 Milan and should be right at the top.

Pictures taken in Florence (40) http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorijmurray/sets/72157600718376859/
It is titled 0062 Florence.


This is a picture I took from the top of the Dumo looking back at Santa Croce. You can see the scaffolding around the bell tower, and if you look closely a little of the Arno River.

I do have to say that I like Florence better each time I visit. And there is so much to see, I’ll need to go back a few more times :-). I can’t believe that the first time I visited; I passed by the Bargello Sculpture Museum several times a day, and didn’t stop in. It really is wonderful. We could only take pictures in the courtyard, none in the galleries. But we spent several hours there, and I could have spent more time just looking.

I also really liked the Museo di Pallazo Davanzati. The walls are all painted, much like we’d wallpaper today. And I do mean painted (or fresco’d). In most rooms there isn’t a square inch not covered. The color is still vibrant, though it must have been much more amazing when it was all new. Take look at the ceiling detail picture I took. I know it’s not very clear, but most of the wood in the ceilings is painted with intricate designs. What an amazing amount of work they put into decorating. As I contemplate having a house built, the thought of all of this kind of detail is over whelming. Needless to say my house is going to be decorated quite bit plainer! Though I really loved the brick floors, hmm that's an idea... I’ll have more to follow the next couple of days.

Enjoy!

No comments: